Learning About and Sorting Out Different Vehicle Registration PA Issues: Frequently Asked Questions

The small details and minutiae of Vehicle Registration PA can really be hard to master and get down pat. They seem to be so specific, and there are so many individual documents that fall into the mix in terms of auto licensing, insurance, different types of fines and fees, special license applications, and licenses for different types of automobiles like boats, vans and trucks. Being able to get a handle and master all of these vehicle registrations can be a really necessary skill to have when you are trying to get a boat registration or apportioned license for one of your personal or professional automobiles. To get a better handle on the ins and outs of all of these individual and special auto tags Pennsylvania and other questions, we are going to go through some frequently asked questions about vehicle registration and address them one-by-one. 

  1. How do I sign a title in my company’s name?

    To get a vehicle titled as part of a corporation, you need to have a signature denoting an “officer” or “authorized employee,” as well as a document of authentication from the corporation in question verifying and authorizing the signer. The person signing must bring his or her PA driver’s license and sign the title in the presence of a notary. 
  2. What happens if I register my car past the deadline?

    If you operate a vehicle that has a late registration, then you run the risk of getting a violation from the state. If the registration is less than 60 days late, this violation will cost you $25, and if it is more than 60 days late then you could be charged $75 or twice as much as you paid for the registration fee. 
  3. How long does it take to get replacement license plates in PA?

    Authorized auto tag agencies have plates in their inventory, but if you want to complete a mail-in application (MV-140), you can get your replacement license plates from Penndot in about 4-6 weeks. 
  4. What is the difference between a commercial and an apportioned license plate in PA?

    Vehicles that operate solely within Pennsylvania are designated “Intrastate-Use Commercial Vehicles.” Vehicles for commercial use like the ones referenced here are usually trucks, buses, limousines or taxis. Business-use vehicles with PA registrations that travel across state lines, with a gross vehicle weight of over 26,000 lbs. and/or 3 or more axles are designated by Pennsylvania as both “Interstate-Use Commercial Vehicles” and “Apportioned” vehicles. 
  5. What is the best way to get a duplicate or replacement registration card?

    You can actually apply for a duplicate or replacement registration card online at the PA DMV site, at an auto tags agency authorized by Penndot, or by filling out an MV-44. If you apply by form, you may be waiting 4-6 weeks. 
  6. How do I add another person onto my automobile title?

    In order to add someone to your title, you need both the prior signers of the title as well as all parties to be included on the new title. This signature must be done with a notary present, and will certify your title with both your names.

How Visiting an Auto Tags Pennsylvania Agency Can Add Value to Your Daily Drives and Commutes

Being able to have security on the roads is a great feeling, and meeting with an auto tags Pennsylvania agency can ultimately lead to your finding tangible value and meaning. By getting your licensing information up-to-date and completely checked by your auto tags agent, you can feel comfortable about where you are paperwork-wise before you hit the roads. You would hate to be stopped by a police or state troop officer without having an updated and valid license. Likewise, you would hate to be stopped crossing the border in a commercial capacity without a valid and up-to-date apportioned license. If you can get these pieces of vehicle registration under your belt, then you can drive with at least the security of knowing that your paperwork is legitimate, and won’t lead you to a hefty fine.

Saving money from those fines may seem a simple proposition, but that saving will add up to a lot of value for you over time. Particularly for industries that rely on automobiles – from industries like food delivery, grocery and goods transportation, as well as even fishing and marine transport – being squared up from a registration standpoint means quite a lot. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Roberta Schira