Delhi is the capital of India, and flying from New York to Delhi is a fantastic plan for your next vacation. India is a beautiful country with a rich historical and cultural background and insane diversity. Booking your New York to Delhi flight is the right thing to do, as Delhi is the perfect place to start your journey in this exotic country. There is so much to explore in India that you will be at a loss of time. So, it is important that you make the most of your time when you travel all the way from New York to New Delhi.
Once you have booked your New York to Delhi flight, you may think that you are all set for your journey. However, it is essential for you to understand what to do and what not to do while you are in India. Delhi is a city unlike any other you have ever visited before. The city has a well-developed infrastructure in parts, but it can be quite rough in other parts. Just to be sure that your New York to Delhi trip goes smoothly, here is a list of dos and don’ts that you need to keep in mind while you are in Delhi.
- Do make copies of your travel documents: This is a general tip anytime you are about to go on a trip and not specifically when you are flying from New York to Delhi. Whenever you are headed to a foreign country, it is important that you have all the important paperwork you may need. So, make copies of all your reservations and other documents to ensure extra safety.
- Do keep cash on you: Although India has been pushing to become a cashless economy, it is still a good idea to keep some cash on you. When you are out exploring the streets of Delhi, you might not be able to find vendors who will accept your credit cards or other online payment methods.
- Do keep a water bottle on you: Carrying clean drinking water with yourself is always a good idea. In a big city like Delhi, where the water quality is not always the best, it is a good idea to carry a water bottle. Given that Delhi also has a very hot climate, keeping a water bottle will also ensure that you always stay hydrated.
- Do get a local sim card: This is an easy one, as you can get a sim card at one of the kiosks at the airport itself. Getting a local sim card will give you unlimited access to the internet, which is helpful to use Google maps and other useful applications to get around the city. Local sim cards are available for a reasonable price.
- Do use the metro system: The metro system in Delhi is a blessing that makes commuting around the city super easy. You can catch a train to all major tourist spots, and the metro fare is almost negligible. The metro system is easy to navigate, and you can get to our destination in mere minutes.
- Don’t leave sight of your bags: Delhi is a big city and pickpockets are fairly common here. Leaving your bags alone for even a minute can cost you your luggage. So, anytime you are in the city, make sure that you are always aware of your luggage. Do not leave your bags out of sight at any given moment, and especially in crowded places where it is easy for your bags to be stolen.
- Don’t eat at unhygienic places: The food scene in Delhi is a dream come true for any foodie. There are a number of street food stalls that offer some mouth-watering food. However, it might just be a good idea if you steer clear of small roadside eateries as they may not always offer the most hygienic food. So, if you do not fancy a trip to the hospital, make sure that you eat at hygienic places.
- Don’t wear revealing clothes: India is a very conservative country and the people do not wear very revealing clothes here. So, it would be a good idea to dress conservatively while you are in the city. Dressing conservatively is especially important when you visit a place of worship in the city. Wearing revealing clothes might be considered a tab bit disrespectful at times. Covering yourself will also save you from the sweltering heat of the city.
- Don’t go out alone at night: Although you should not have a lot of trouble getting around Delhi, it is advisable to avoid shady places at night. Delhi can be unsafe at night if you are not sure of your surroundings. Being aware of your surroundings at all times is necessary to keep safe in the city. So, make sure to avoid any dodgy places and also avoid going out alone at night. Also, be careful of the people that you interact with and the information that you give away. Sharing information about yourself is not always a good idea.
- Don’t forget to bargain: Bargaining is an art that will prove to be rewarding when you go out shopping in Delhi. There are tons of places where you can shop in the city. SHopaholics will have the time of their lives here. But, when you visit one of the local markets, make sure that you do not pay the price the shopkeepers ask for. Most of the time shopkeepers ask for a very high price. Bargaining with them is a normal thing to do. If you do not want to get ripped off, make sure that you bargain at all the shops for a better price.
With these super helpful tips, there is no doubt that your New York to New Delhi trip will go smoothly. Now, all there is left to do is to get on your cheap flights to India and enjoy the ride with your near and dear ones.